Tags: drugs, friend, health, heavy, isnt, medications, old, periods, reproduction, sexual

isnt 56 too old for periods?

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Sexual Health & Reproduction

5,080 words with 9 Comments; publish: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:20:00 GMT; (900109.38, « »)

I have a friend who is going to be 56 years old and still has her periods every month. Sometimes they're quite heavy and long, and many times she'll start a second period before the month has ended. Has anyone else every heard of this? I know everyone goes through menopause at different ages but I've honestly never heard of anyone this old still having them. She did question her doctor about it and the doctor didn't seem too concerned, just told her she can't 'make' her periods stop and they will when her body is ready. Am I being concerned for nothing?

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 9 Comments
    • my friends sister was around that age and she was still having a regular period. With the problems she's having with her periods it sounds like she's in perimenopause right now.
      #1; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 16:59:00 GMT
    • I know a woman who was still having regular periods at age 58! Wow did I feel sorry for her. The average age of menopause is 51 but some woman go through it earlier and some later. What age did her mother go through menopause? Usually daughters will hit menopause at the same age their mothers did.

#2; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:00:00 GMT

Not factual data but i have heard from older women that you will have your period for 30 years..So depending on the age when you start 30 years later or just before you will begin to go thru the change!!!!

#3; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:01:00 GMT

#4; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:03:00 GMT

Not trying to be funny but there is more than one reason for the biblical story of Abraham and Sarah having a child late in life! You keep ovulating until you run out of eggs or the stimulating hormones to lay them!

#5; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:03:00 GMT
    • I have been having periods for 40 years. I began at 13 and will be 53 in April. They haven't quit yet! I think 40 years is much more accurate. I thought it was 30 yrs..sorry but i was close...lol

SP68

#6; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:05:00 GMT
    • That's o.k. I wish it was just 30 years. I think I've put in my time! lol

I thought it was 30 yrs..sorry but i was close...lol

SP68

#7; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:05:00 GMT
    • That's o.k. I wish it was just 30 years. I think I've put in my time! lol

I had mine for 22 yrs.I agree you have put in your time and then some..I am glad that part is over for me!! For the past 4 months i have been on a new journey...Surgically induced menopause..YYIIPPEE,LOL..I finally found the right dose of hrt and the hot flashes are far and few between...I went through a major depression as well and thats ALL GONE since i stated on zoloft a month ago and the doc prescribed trazodone for sleep almost 2 weeks ago...Since taking these pills i am a new woman!!!! I have read where alot of women actually require an antidepressant after starting menopause..best of luck to you as you enter the OTHER SIDE...I have found a wonderful place that helps so much with all my questions the last 4 months...Just type in hysterectomy and it will pop up on the list has something to do with sisters..Thats all i can say since i dont want to get banned from here...

SP68

#8; Sat, 15 Dec 2007 17:07:00 GMT
    • Thanks. I am going to look for it. I am not taking anything for my menopause symptoms other than vitamins and magnesium. I am planning on starting flaxseed and maybe evening primrose oil. I need something, that's for sure.

SP68